Okay, so we got good and bad news. The bad news is; you want to make cheesy ground beef quesadillas or want to garnish your Italian pasta, and you say to yourself – “here we go again”.
The good news is that you don’t have to be in that kind of situation anymore, like ever, with the handheld cheese grater.
We’re not going to spill any juice on what we’ve got for you, so we’d just let you find out yourself.
Ladies and gentlemen, up next are our buying guide, followed closely behind by our reviews of some of the best products in town.
Table of Contents
- Factors To Consider When Buying A Cheese Grater?
- How Can I Grate Cheese Without Using A Grater?
- What Are The Benefits Of Owning A Handheld Cheese Grater?
- How to Use A Handheld Cheese Grater
- Can I Use A Cheese Grater To Zest Lemon?
- How to Maintain Handheld Cheese Graters
- Handheld Cheese Grater Reviews
- Final Thoughts
Factors To Consider When Buying A Cheese Grater?
To ensure you get your money’s worth and most importantly the product that suits your needs perfectly, the following factors should be put into consideration.
Type of Cheese Grater
There are five major types of graters to pick from and they are:
- Electric cheese graters: they mostly come as attachments for big appliances like food processors or stand mixers. They are most suitable for grating large sizes of cheese. If you have a food processor or stand mixer, you can go for it.
- Box cheese graters: they have four sides, each with different blade sizes. They are suitable for large sizes of cheese and the availability of different shred sizes makes them come in handy. They eliminate the need for multiple tools but the only downside is that they are bulky to carry and store.
- Handheld cheese graters: They are simple devices and are great for shredding small to medium cheese sizes. While they only have one grating surface, some products make up for that by coming as a set, so you can have up to three grating options. They are convenient and easy to use.
- Rotary cheese graters: these are perfect if you intend to grate hard cheese so it’s a great parmesan cheese grater. It makes use of a rotating blade that shreds your cheese when you turn the crank. They are safe to use since the blades are enclosed.
- Zesters: these are just like handheld graters just they are used to zest citrus fruits. They also work well with hard cheeses or chocolates. They can be used to make ginger pastes.
Type of Blades
Handheld cheese grater blades can either be etched or stamped. Etched blades are sharper because they are made from a chemical process. They are hence razor-sharp and produce thinner or finer shreds than stamped blades.
On the other hand, stamped blades are large and rigid. They protrude out of the grater and produce results by tearing the cheese instead of cutting.
Number of Pieces
This is a very important factor that is determined by how you like or need your shredded cheese. Most handheld cheese graters have just one grating surface which could either be fine, medium, or coarse blades.
If you get one with fine blades, what happens when you need your cheese coarsely shredded? That’s why you need to look out for products that come as a set of 2 or 3 graters. With that, your grating options are not limited.
Quality of Material
It’s no-brainer the construction material has to be of great quality. This is to ensure efficiency and continuous use for a long time. Good products are made using stainless steel. Now, that could be just the blades alone or the whole construction. Whichever it is, you’re good to go.
For the handle, they can be made from rubber, silicone, or wood. These are all quality materials because they are durable and they prevent your hands from slipping on the handle.
How Can I Grate Cheese Without Using A Grater?
If you don’t own a cheese grater, you can still get shredded pieces of cheese using any of the following alternatives.
- Use a food processor: asides from the fact that it requires a lot of cleaning after use; this is a good alternative. If you want the best results, we’d suggest you refrigerate the cheese to make it firmer and then cut into small to medium cubes. Place the cubes in the container (but do not overfill to ensure the efficiency of the blades). If not already done, attach a shredding disk into the processor and turn it on. Your cheese will be shredded into fine pieces.
- Use a vegetable peeler: This method is most suitable if you’re not in a hurry. For optimum results, place the wide side of the cheese on a chopping board. Hold it down with one hand and use the other to slide the vegetable peeler over it.
- Use a knife: this method may just be your go-to option since knives can be easily reached in the kitchen. To use, place the tall side of the cheese on a cutting board. Tightly hold it with one hand and use the other to thinly slice the cheese starting from the edge. When you’re done, cut them further into thinner pieces.
What Are The Benefits Of Owning A Handheld Cheese Grater?
The first benefit that comes to mind would be the fact that you’re in control. Since it’s handheld, you get to control how much cheese you want to rub against the grate and how you do it. You can decide to place it on a table or your countertop, you dictate everything.
Perhaps, what should have come first is the efficiency of the blades. The grating blades are sharp and durable because they are made from quality stainless steel. They also come in different sizes; hence you get different texture options.
One might wonder, are users not exposed to injuries from the sharp blades especially since it’s handheld? That’s exactly why some manufacturers include a protective cover to ensure safety when not in use. Other safety features you’d find are a base stopper at the end of the product and a non-slip handle.
How to Use A Handheld Cheese Grater
Place the rubber feet on any flat surface with the device standing vertically or at an angle of 45°. Hold the non-slip handle with one hand. Most handles have ridges that make it possible to hold without slipping even with wet hands, but preferably, make sure your hands are dry.
If you need options on what to place on, you can place them on any clean hard surface such as a board or even in a wide bowl. When you’ve positioned your device; start rubbing the cheese up and down making sure to apply pressure.
The chunk of cheese will gradually reduce in size as the shredded pieces continue to pile up. Continue until there’s no solid cheese left or till when you have your desired amount of grated cheese.
Can I Use A Cheese Grater To Zest Lemon?
Yes, you can and that’s one of the merits of handheld cheese graters we forgot to mention – versatility! Are you curious as to how that works? Okay, we’re going to tell you.
You start by placing the grater on a clean board at an angle of 45° and then grab the handle firmly. Once you’ve done that, slide the lemon down over the blades to get rid of its skin. Repeat this process until there’s no zest left and all you can see underneath is the white pith.
How to Maintain Handheld Cheese Graters
Cleaning your device is quite straightforward as you can easily use a dishwasher. Yes, handheld cheese graters are dishwasher-safe. Place your grater in the top rack of your dishwasher and that’s it.
If you don’t own a dishwasher or prefer to wash manually, use a brush with soapy water to clean your grater but be careful around the blades. Please note it’s not advisable to clean with a cloth as the blades can cut through and injure your fingers.
Handheld Cheese Grater Reviews
1. ALLTOP Graters for Cheese
- Stainless steel construction
- Set of 3
- Non-slip handles
Want to grate cheese to different sizes? You can rely on the ultra-sharp blades of this cheese grater set. The package contains 3 handheld cheese graters. This means three different grate sizes. Two are flat and the last one is semi-round.
The fine shredder, medium shredder, and coarse shredder are made from quality stainless steel material so you get great results and durability. The grates are attached to non-slip handles to ensure good grips and there’s a loop in them for storage.
They are dishwasher-safe for easy maintenance and they offer multiple uses – they can be used to also grate the potato, nutmeg, chocolate, coconut, citrus fruits, and so much more.
2. Zulay Kitchen Professional Cheese Grater
- Made from 18/10 stainless steel
- Large grating surface
- Soft grip handle
- Sturdy base support
This product promises efficient and quick grating of cheese into fine shreds. The grating surface is made from premium 430 stainless steel and is large enough to grate large chunks of cheese at once – it’s about 22 inches wide.
Some of its physical features include a long, soft rubber handle for tight grips, a sturdy frame that houses the grating surface with base support at the end. There’s also a built-in hanging hole in the handle.
You can make use of this product to zest lemon or grated ginger and carrots. It is dishwasher-safe for easy maintenance. It’s also BPA-free.
3. KMEIVOL Cheese Grater
- Stainless steel construction
- Medium and coarse grating surfaces
This is an affordable, yet highly durable product. It is 100% constructed using high-grade stainless steel. This implies it won’t rust and would last for a lifetime. The grating blades are very sharp and they provide you with a medium texture.
Using this product is very easy; it has a 4.8” long, round handle for non-slip holds. Both sides of this product have medium and coarse graters, so you can make use of whichever you need.
It can be conveniently stored by hanging through the loop on the handle. Perhaps, the most intriguing feature is its versatility. It can be used to zest citrus fruits and grate chocolate, carrots, etc. It is dishwasher-safe.
4. DI ORO 2-Piece Kitchen Grater Set
- Stainless S-core steel
- Set of 2
- Laser-etched blades
- Non-slip handle
This product removes all doubts on handheld cheese graters. Its design is well-engineered and built to perfection. Don’t be surprised when you see two products while unboxing; it comes as a set of 2 – 1 zester and 1 grater.
Both products are made from stainless s-core steel for improved quality and resistance to rust. To ensure the grating surfaces are ultra-sharp, they are laser etched. These 12” long products come with comfortable handles with a hanging loop.
It features a surface stabilizer support that ensures it stays sturdy on any surface. In terms of safety, it is resistant to bacteria growth. It can be effortlessly cleaned using a dishwasher.
5. K Basix Cheese Grater & Shredder
- Heavy-duty stainless steel blades
- Soft rubber handle
- Dishwasher friendly
- Strong frame
K Basix Cheese Grater & Shredder is the solution to all your grating problems – well, almost all. That’s because besides producing medium shreds of cheese, they can also be used to grate chocolate, zucchini, or carrots.
The sharp grating blades are made from heavy-duty stainless steel and reinforced round with a solid frame of the same material. As expected, it comes with a soft rubber handle that fits in your hands perfectly.
At the other end of the handle is a wide base foot support to prevent slips during use. Since it’s made from rust-resistant materials, it is dishwasher-safe.
6. KEOUKE Grater for Kitchen
- 3 pieces
This product has got every texture you need – a fine, medium, and coarse grater. They are all of the great quality as they are made from premium stainless steel. Two have flat graters and the other a semi-round grater.
The blades are sharp, but moderately, which makes it safer and you can even wash manually. However, it is dishwasher-safe for more convenient cleaning. Its ergonomic handle makes it easy to be stored courtesy of the hanging loop.
It serves several purposes, using it to grate garlic, carrot, chocolate, and so much more. Overall, they are strong, rust-resistant, and safe to use. They would make a great addition to your kitchen utensils.
7. HAOZAN Multipurpose Zester Grater
- Ergonomic design
- Fine stainless steel grate
- Protective cover
HAOZAN has one purpose with this product – to make grating cheese super easy for you! This small handheld product fits perfectly in your hands; all thanks to its silicone handle which is comfortable to hold.
As expected the stainless steel blades are sharp and serried. It spans across a width of 3.2 inches and is protected from bending or deformation by being housed in a frame. On the end of the grating surface is a wide stopper to allow the product to stay sturdy on surfaces.
Trust this product to finely grate your cheese and when you’re in the mood for some grated chocolate, veggies, or zested citrus fruits, you can also make use of it. One merit of this product we do like is that it comes with a protective cover for the sharp grating surface.
It is dishwasher-safe.
8. MGLIMZ Handle Cheese Graters for Kitchen
- 3 pieces
- Stainless steel construction
- Wooden handle
- Wide uses
Here’s another exciting set of 3 cheese graters. There’s the small, medium, and large grating blades which are all made from premium stainless steel. They are sharp, efficient, and strong.
Unlike most products, it comes with a wooden handle. The handle is durable and has a hanging loop. With this product, you have three different uses. The fine blades are perfect for cheese, citrus, garlic, or chocolate. The medium blades are more suitable for veggies, parmesan cheese, or butter while the coarse blades work well with potatoes, apples, or carrots.
The blades are guaranteed to never clog and they can be easily washed manually or simply placed in the dishwasher.
9. OXO Good Grips Etched Medium Grater
- Stainless steel grating blades
- Soft grip handle
- Protective cover
If you want a texture between fine and coarse, then you should consider buying this product. It boasts stainless steel blades that are sharp and etched for fast and efficient grating and zesting.
To ensure the safety of users when not in use, the makers included a protective cover in the package. Its handle is soft and comfortable to hold and its sturdy foot ensures stability during use.
It grates zucchini, carrot, and chocolate perfectly. To make maintenance easy for users, it is dishwasher friendly; simply place in the top rack and that’s it.
10. Aschef 3-in-1 Stainless Steel Cheese Grater
- Safety base stopper
With this product, you get 3 quality stainless steel graters. That means 3 different textures! The blades are highly effective, rust-resistant, and BPA-free. All 3 graters are available in two different shapes and three different sizes.
Its handle is coated in rubber to make it soft to hold and anti-slip. It also has a hanging loop which is a great storage option for those who don’t have much kitchen space. That’s not all. It has wide support at its base to ensure stability during use.
Apart from its primary function of grating cheese, it provides secondary uses of grating carrots, vegetables, lemon, and so on. It is dishwasher-safe.
Handheld cheese graters are the perfect choice if you’re looking to shred small to medium cheese sizes and now that you’ve decided to get one, our buying guide and product reviews will guide you to select the right product.
ALLTOP Graters for Cheese is the best handheld cheese grater. It boasts a solid construction, comes with three grate sizes, and serves multiple functions.
If you want a product with a lower price, KMEIVOL Cheese Grater is the one you should be looking at. It has very sharp blades, good grips, and reliable quality.